Vikki Holstein is the author of Breaking Storm, the first book in her romantic suspense series, White Wattle Creek.
A survivor of childhood sexual abuse, her writing reflects the courage it takes to trust again, and the struggle to forgive ourselves on the journey to finding love, peace, and happiness.
Now a wife, mother, and storyteller, she lives in central Victoria with her husband and herd of animals. When not writing, she spends time with her horses, helping her husband on his latest renovation project, or gardening.
ABOUT BREAKING STORM
Kelsey’s sole purpose in life is to keep four-year-old Pipa safe. Conceived in a violent, drug-induced rampage, Pipa is being hunted by the man responsible. He wants her dead, and no matter how far Kelsey and Pipa run, the brewing storm is never far behind.
Protection lies in Kelsey’s hometown of White Wattle Creek in the form of Ethan, the man who’d always been her safe place. The one she loved. And the one who broke her heart. But she not only has Ethan to face when she returns. The emotional abuse of her past and the truth surrounding Pipa’s existence both rain down on her from the clouds gathering overhead.
When Kelsey finally opens her heart to Ethan, her nightmares tip over into reality, and with Pipa’s future hanging in the balance, Kelsey must find the strength within to fight for their right to happiness … before the storm breaks.
1. Switch off the self editing for the first draft.
2. Listen to your gut. I’ve found trying to force the characters to keep to the outline blocks the process. Trust them to go where they are going.
3. Join a writer’s group. The support and contact with other writers helps with motivation, and the friends you make are wonderful.
4. Doing the mundane can help when the writing is stuck. I don’t know how many times I’ve come up with the answer to a stalled scene while I’m washing dishes.
5. Be proud of whatever genre you write in.
Breaking Storm started as a vivid scene in my head, and I knew this was the story I would pursue to publication. Kelsey spoke loud and clear about her part in it. Ethan was more reticent at first, but told his part in the end. And Pipa evolved from a minor character into my favorite four year old (other than when my own kids were four, oF course.
WHERE TO FIND VIKKI ONLINE
Congratulations Vikki on the release of Breaking Storm!