Everyone is struggling with the devastating effects of Covid-19 so now’s the time to band together and help each other.
That’s why I’m using my blog to share the love … and some great books. All over the world author events and book launches are being cancelled, but we’re the lucky ones because we still have online forums to share our art … to tell people about our books … books that can provide a great source of entertainment and comfort in these difficult times.
Today, let’s say Happy Book Day to Katherine Kovaci and her amazing new release, The Shifting Landscape.
Katherine Kovacic is a former veterinarian turned art historian who works with a wide variety of museums, galleries and historic houses. She lives in Melbourne with a Borzoi and a Scottish Deerhound. The Shifting Landscape is the third book in the Alex Clayton art mystery series. This adult crime fiction is being released into the world today, 31 March, by Echo Publishing.
Art dealer Alex Clayton travels to Victoria’s Western District to value the McMillan family’s collection. At their historic sheep station, she finds an important and previously unknown colonial painting – and a family fraught with tension. There are arguments about the future of the property and its place in an ancient and highly significant indigenous landscape.
If you fancy writing this kind of book, Katherine has some great tips that she’s sharing here:
- Do a lot of research then file most of it away in the back of your mind. The reader doesn’t need every detail (no matter how awesome it is) just a few nuggets to fire the imagination.
- Look at pictures relating to the setting of the book (or how you imagine the setting to be). Colours, light and tiny details can be a spark of inspiration.
- If you can, spend time wandering around the place where your book is set (or the place it is based on). Focus on sensations (smells, wind, the ground under your feet, sounds…)
- Sometimes my characters don’t do what I expect them to. Mostly, if I go along for the ride it turns out better than anything I had planned.
- If something in the draft doesn’t feel right, read it out loud.
Thanks so much for visiting, Katherine and Happy Book Day! You can buy The Shifting Landscape at
You can find out more about Katherine and her books by following her here:
Twitter: @KathKov1Instagram: katherine.kovacic
And buy The Shifting Landscape where all good books are sold.
Congratulations and Happy Book Day, Katherine.
WIN A COPY OF THIS FABULOUS BOOK
Only open to Australia residents.
All you have to do is:
- In the comments section on this post, tell us why you’d like to win the book.
- Share it on social media and tag ‘Dee White Author’