Today Kevin shares his insightful writing tips:
Hey Dee. Thanks for letting me visit. As a prelude, could I say how much I love writing and chasing my characters across the page. I love it when they say unexpected things and want to go where I hadn’t imagined they would go. Bonkers!
- Write a killer opening. It’s like setting the scene in an image that you need to draw (pun intended) people’s attention.
- End each chapter with a hook that makes people want to get to the next chapter – similar to ending an illustration on the far right so that people are compelled to turn the page.
- Think about the best way to impart information. As an illustrator, I’m inclined to overstate when I’m writing. Cut it right back and then add what’s needed to make it understood.
- Allow the characters to interact. I wrote a whole end chapter to Kate that had a cast of thousands, but once I had blocked out that extremely complicated scenario, I realised that all I needed was to let the characters talk to each other and it created a much more impactful ending.
- And, the biggest lesson for me – allow your characters to get hurt! I spent so much time protecting my dudes that there was a danger nothing was going to happen at all. That would create awesome fiction wouldn’t it? (not)
I just wanted to add that whilst writing one of the chase scenes, I was writing so fast to keep up with what I was thinking and so anxious about what was happening that I think my heart rate went up to about 150 bpm. I’ve NEVER had that happen when I was illustrating.
See Kevin’s work at http://www.kevinburgemeestre.com or at The Style Filehttp://www.thestylefile.com/show.php?illustrator_id=59&image_id=389
Kate is published by Morris Publishing.
WHOLESALE AND RETAIL ORDERS:
Morris Publishing Australia – http://www.morrispublishingaustralia.com
Dennis Jones and Associates: http://www.dennisjones.com.au
James Bennett library suppliers: http://www.bennett.com.au
Find out more about Kevin and his new book by visiting these great blogs:
Tuesday 3rd Dec – 10 writing tips https://deescribewriting.wordpress.com
Wednesday 4th Dec – Interview http://www.buzzwordsmagazine.com
Thursday 5th Dec – Interview http://www.alisonreynolds.com.au
Friday 6th – article http://sherylgwyther.wordpress.com
Saturday 7th Interview http://bookmusterdownunder.blogspot.com.au
Sunday 8th Dec www.jackiehoskingpio.wordpress.com
Monday 9th Interview http://www.kidsbookreview.com
Monday 9th Interview http://UncommonYA.com
Tuesday 10th Review http://www.melissawray.blogspot.com.au
Wednesday 11th Review www.karentyrrell.com
Thursday 12th Interview http://www.sallymurphy.blogspot.com
Friday 13th Interview http://lorrainemarwoodwordsintowriting.blogspot.com
Saturday 14th Article http://clancytucker.blogspot.com.au
Sunday 15th Dec Interview http://www.morrispublishingaustralia.com/news-update-blog.html
Monday 16th Dec Interview http://diannedibates.blogspot.com.au
Tuesday 17th Dec Interview http://elaineoustonauthor.com.au