I’m moving forward and trying not to edit as I go, but there are something prompts I use to help me along if I think a scene is lagging. They are also things that help me in the revision process. I hope you find them useful too:)
PROMPTS FOR CREATING CONFLICT IN A SCENE
- What physical obstacles have you placed in your character’s way? Do you need more?
- Does setting contribute to the conflict in the scene? How can you make better use of setting? How has it made things worse for your character in this scene?
- What happened/is going to happen in this scene to make things worse for your character?
- Is their reaction authentic/strong enough?
- What decisions will your character have to make now because of what happened in the scene?
- Why will this scene make your reader keep reading?
- How can you build the tension to encourage the reader to keep reading?
- Does this scene reveal what you want it to about your character?
- Why does your story need this scene?
- How can you make this scene stronger?
Hope you find this useful. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo projects and whatever writing you’re working on.
I thought I’d also let you know about the free writing competition on my other blog, Writing Classes For Kids & Adults.
I run writing competitions there every month and the November competition closes soon.
There are great prizes to win. This month’s competition involved submitting the FIRST PAGE of your story.
To find out more, check out the competition page at http://writingclassesforkids.com/competitions-2/