As I have mentioned in last week’s post, a blog tour can lead to direct sales of your book. A blog tour might sound a bit scary, but seriously they are a lot of fun. You visit different blogs and you get to talk about your new book baby and show pics. But the key to a successful blog tour is variety.
One of the questions I get asked most frequently about doing tours is:
How do you stop the tour from becoming boring?
The difference between a real tour and a virtual tour are that in a real tour, readers are unlikely to follow your around the country and go to every bookshop or library you stop at.
But in a virtual or blog tour, it is quite common for readers to visit a number of stops along the way to find out more and more about your book.
Spice Up Your Blog Tour
The simplest way to stop your blog tour from becoming boring is variety. Give your hosts a list of different topics to choose from. If each host chooses a different topic then they will be encouraged to ask you different questions from other hosts
You can stop your blog tour from becoming boring by varying the content – make it look and sound different. Some other things you might like to consider besides straight question and answer interviews by you or straight reviews are:
1. Puzzles and classroom activities. I invented a word search for my Letters to Leonardo blog tour
2. Upload excerpts from the book
3. Upload a book trailer and talk about how you made it.
4. Get some young readers to do advance reviews and include them on the site
5. Hold competitions and giveaways – they can include a copy of the book or related merchandise.
6. Upload YouTube clips showing how you wrote the book or related to the subject matter
7. Upload podcast reviews of your book
8. Encourage school blogs to participate and have an online chat with a class about your book
There are no limitations to what you or your blog host can do to make your blog tour fun and exciting. Go wild and have fun!
If you have any blog touring questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section of this post.
Happy writing and blog touring:)
On Friday at DeeScribe Writing (that’s here:) PB author, Catriona Hoy is visiting to talk about her blog touring experiences. Hope you can join us then:)